Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Roast Pork Loin with Herbes de Provence


I love this recipe because it looks so fancy, but takes about 5 minutes of prep time and the oven does the rest of the work. Herbes de Provence are very popular in French cooking and are a great seasoning for poultry, pork, and many vegetables. I roasted mine in the oven, but you could also put it on the grill when the weather is nice. Also, your kitchen will exude the most delicious aroma because of the roasted herbs.

Ingredients
  • 1 boneless pork loin, trimmed
  • Herbes de Provence (add salt if it isn't already part of the mix)
  • Oil (Extra Virgin Olive, grapeseed, etc)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. 
  2. Clean and trim the meat, but leave on a thin layer of fat otherwise your meat may dry out.
  3. Brush with oil and then rub with Herbes de Provence to create a beautiful herb-y crust.
  4. Place in a roasting pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake roughly 30-40 min per pound. The timing is just a guideline. Invest in a good meat thermometer to know for sure how well done your meat is. Insert the meat thermometer into the center of the meatiest part of your roast. About 140F for very rare meat, 150F for medium and 160-170 for well. Allow meat to rest away from the heat about 10 min before carving. (I prefer my meat at about 150F.)

This is one of my favorite seasoning blends. This particular bottle is garlic, thyme, basil, salt, bay leaf, onions, oregano, rosemary, lavender, black pepper, fennel seed, and other asst. spices.
brush that bad boy with oil so your herbs will stick and form a nice crust; I pour the herbs directly into the palm of my hand and rub it on the meat
I like my pork roast about 150F for medium/medium rare.
 
mmmm... that beautiful herb-y crust!


2 comments: