Sunday, July 22, 2012

Easy Chicken Stir Fry

Continuing on my adventure into Asian-inspired cooking I wanted to try a chicken dish this time around. Feeling brave enough to venture out on my own without a recipe to follow I shocked myself that this came out so well the first time around. I chose red onion, scallions, broccoli, and sugar snap peas for my vegetables, but feel free to use any stir-fry vegetables you like. I actually forgot my husband is allergic to sugar snap peas so now he thinks I'm out to poison him. It doesn't take away from the fact that this meal came out DELICIOUS! And now all the leftovers are just for me. Whoo!

I chose to serve this over cauliflower rice, which still makes this a one-dish meal, but you can omit the cauliflower if you don't like it or don't feel like adding an extra step.

Ingredients
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil (plus more if needed)
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh ground pepper
  • 1 tsp plus 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1.5 lb chicken breast, sliced (I bought pre-sliced chicken "chicken for stir fry")
  • 1 large red onion, thickly sliced
  • 2 bunches of scallions, sliced, white and light green parts only
  • 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 bag of broccoli florets (or a few broccoli crowns, cut into florets)
  • 2 packs of sugar snap peas (about 12oz to a pound)
  • 1/4 cup raw coconut aminos
  1. Prepare your cauliflower by pulsing the florets in the food processor until they are a rice-like consistency.
  2. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower to the pan and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt. Saute a few minutes until al dente and put off to the side in a bowl.
  3. Wipe the pan out with some paper towels and heat about 2 Tbsp olive oil over high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and sprinkle with some salt, pepper, and 1 tsp ground ginger. Saute until cooked through but not dried out. Put the chicken on a plate off to the side.
  4. Add 2 Tbsp sesame oil to the pan and add the red onion, garlic and scallions and saute about a minute. Add the broccoli and peas and saute until just soft. Add more sesame oil if your vegetables start to get dry.
  5. Add the chicken to the pan and pour in the 1/4 cup coconut aminos and remaining 1 tsp ground ginger and mix well to coat. Allow to cook another minute or so until the flavors are absorbed.
  6. Remove from heat and serve over a few scoops of cauliflower rice.










No comments:

Post a Comment