Saturday, July 7, 2012

Recipe Test - Asian Beef with Broccoli



I never thought I would eat something even remotely resembling this after switching to Paleo. When I took the first bite, a stream of happy expletives came pouring out of my mouth that I will spare you all from reading.

Let's just say, I F%$@#* LOVED IT!

I got this recipe from a blog (cupcakesomg.blogspot.com) who adapted it from the Make It Paleo cookbook (that I don't own, but hey, my birthday is coming up). I didn't change anything, but I did figure out how to cut down on prep time with some shortcuts which I will share at the end. This meal does come together very quickly. I also served mine over cauliflower rice, you know, so I could get the full Chinese Food Takeout experience - so I will add those cooking steps in as well.

  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower
  • 2 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp ginger, minced
  • 1-2 lbs. beef, cut into 1" cubes
  • 4-6 cups broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
  • 1/4 cup coconut aminos
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp white sesame seeds, for garnish
  1. Cut cauliflower into florets (discard the stem and leaves) and pulse in a food processor until you get the consistency of rice.
  2. Heat about a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower and a few pinches of salt and saute a few minutes until soft, but not mushy. Let stand off to the side in a bowl. You can clean out the pan by wiping with a paper towel and prepare for the next cooking steps.
  3. Heat sesame oil in a wok or skillet over high heat.
  4. Add garlic and ginger to wok, and saute for 2 minutes until oil is infused.
  5. Add steak, stirring until browned on all sides.
  6. Once steak is seared, add broccoli. Continue to saute over high heat.
  7. Add green onion, and an extra tablespoon of oil if needed.
  8. Add coconut aminos and season with salt, pepper, (and red pepper flakes).
  9. Continue to saute another 2-3 minutes, until all the flavors are combined.
  10. Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and serve over cauliflower rice.

And now time for the SHORTCUTS! mmmm... shortcuts
  1. Buy bagged cauliflower and broccoli that are already cut into florets.
  2. Use a garlic press to crush the garlic instead of mincing.(Don't try it on the ginger;  I did and all it did was smush it and squeeze out the juice.)
  3. Instead of fresh garlic you could also substitute a tsp of garlic powder.
  4. Use about a tsp of powdered ginger instead of peeling and mincing fresh.
  5. Buy beef that is already pre-cut - usually called stirfry beef.







No comments:

Post a Comment