Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sauteed Cremini Mushrooms with Lemon, Capers, and Garlic

It wasn't until I became an adult that I really started to appreciate mushrooms. As a kid, I would pick them out of whatever meal they were in and isolate them from the rest of my food. My favorite mushrooms nowadays are portobellos (big mushrooms) and baby bellas (smaller relation of the portobello aka cremini or crimini). I've grilled them, broiled them, stuffed them, mixed them in chili and marinara, but not really given them a good saute. I was in an experimenting type of mood and came up with a delicious new way to showcase these bite-sized little fungi.

Ingredients
  • 16oz whole cremini mushrooms, wiped clean with damp paper towels
  • 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
  • 1 Tbsp clarified butter (can substitute with another Tbsp of grapeseed oil)
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 2 Tbsp capers, drained
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • Fresh ground pepper, to taste
  1. Slice the mushrooms in half lengthwise through the stem and cap (any larger mushrooms should be cut in quarters) 
  2. Heat the grapeseed oil and butter on the stove in a pan over medium-high heat until the butter begins to froth.
  3. Add the mushrooms to the pan and saute 5+ minutes until just soft.
  4. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and saute a few minutes more until flavors combine and mushrooms are fork-tender.
When cleaning my 'shrooms with paper towels, most of that dark skin came off revealing the delicate white meat underneath.

2Tbsp probably feels like a lot of oil/butter, but these little sponges will soak it up.

Prepping my capers and fresh lemon juice.

Adding the rest of the ingredients to the pan.
Ready to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment